Many of us would like the stability of Ubuntu with the tools of Kali Linux. However, there are slight issues when running on Ubuntu 19.10. Below we will address how to get Katoolin to run on Ubuntu 18 and Ubuntu 19.
Katoolin Not Running on Ubuntu 19.10…
Simply put, Katoolin was written in Python2, but your Ubuntu installation comes default with Python3.
You might be asking, “Can’t I just install Python2 and run Katoolin!?” YES! You can.
But if you are willing to make a couple changes to the code (Literally 2 changes) then you can keep Python3 and run Katoolin. Don’t worry, it is real easy….
Steps to mod Katoolin
Error Code you will receive:
File “katoolin.py”, line 8 print “sorry. This script requires sudo privledges”
SyntaxError: Missing parentheses in call to ‘print’. Did you mean print(“Sorry. This script requires sudo privledges”)?
Print in python2 only requires ” ” to print. Python3 Requires (). (Yes the answer is in the error….)
- Download Katoolin if you haven’t already from this location. Follow the instructions on the Github page. Katoolin
- Open your favorite text editor. I use Atom. Download here and open up your Katoolin.py file. Likely located in /home/katoolin/ if you have used the lionsec tutorial to install katoolin.
- Go to Line 8
3. Simply change the code from “Sorry. This script requires sudo privleges” to (“Sorry. This script requires sudo privileges”)
4. Save the document. That will fix your Print Error.
Fix The Raw_Input Error
- With your text editor still open, press CTRL + F
- In the Find type: raw_input
- In the Replace type: input
4. Then click Replace all. Doing this will locate all instances of raw_input and replace it with input.
That’s it! Save the document.
1 . Change directorys in Terminal to your Katoolin.py directory. Again, likely /home/katoolin. To do this: open terminal and type cd katoolin.
2. Type: sudo python3 katoolin.py
Katoolin should run without any issues.
The Easy Way.
- You can download the modified file and unzip them to your home directory and run without making any changes to the code. I have done the hard work for you. (I know sometimes you just want to get something running…)
4Site Modified Katoolin.py File : Download
This is just a problem with running a python2 written code within python3.
If you have any issues with this tutorial, please let me know in the comments. I really love the work the LionSec has done to get Katoolin ironed out and I have used it on every build of Ubuntu in the past. I like the simplicity and ease of operation.
I am sure there are a million different ways to fix the issues listed above. If you have a better way please list it below in the comments as well.
Sony WH-XB900N Noise Cancelling (Impressive Bass!)
Also, I don’t often promote any products, but these headphones have the most bass of any headphones I have used in the past and crystal clear tremble. The noise cancellation also helps you keep focus no matter where you are working. They have a pretty cool feature that allows you to cover the RIGHT headphone with your hand and it quiets the music, while using the noise cancelling mic to amplify the ambient noise around you! Great for if someone walks up and wants a quick work. They comes with countless other features as well, but if your interested I am sure you will do your research. If you are in the market for some headphones, I HIGHLY suggest giving these a try.
Exceptional performance without the blinding price of Bose.
Click the pic to pick up a pair on Amazon!